Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Great All and Everything

Tuesday May 13th, 2014 my first time on The Great Wall of China.

As Adam informed us this whole, see the wall from space thing just isn't true, but you can still see it from far away. Just like the Big Buddha it peaked out of the haze and I had myself wondering "Is that really it or am I just that excited to see the Great Wall that I'm imagining it?"

Yet another great excitement for the Skyride operator abroad: Gondola to the Great Wall! This time there was no wind and no stopping, just picture taking.


My entire emotional experience on the Great Wall could be summed up in three points. The first was that its size and history made me feel so small, and insignificant. Only a collectivist culture could really pull off some of the most amazing things in this world, a whole bunch of small people can break expectations and build a colossal wall. Second was the feeling that like I just had an invigorating pep-talk, like a coach getting his team pumped up in the locker room, something about being on the Great Wall made me feel like my potential was so high. The third emotional experience would be how feeling small and feeling motivated sort of inspired me and made me really enthusiastic to go even farther than I thought I could (even up all those stairs when it was starting to get hot out.



The Great Wall experience ended with a toboggan ride off the side of the wall to the parking lot. Toboggan how? There's no snow. How about in a metal tube on wheeled carts!



Our bus ride full of napping and snacking took us to the Ming Tombs. Located between scared peaks in a river valley this was thought to be the optimal space for the tombs. The Ming was the second to last dynasty and probably my favourite of the Chinese dynasties. It was the Chinese renaissance, and a time of exploration and trade.Since this last dynasty was a just over 500 years ago the tombs and artefacts were well intact.



This full day finished up with a big meal and a lot of much needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment